OmnisDataBridge 1.78

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Tue Feb 20 17:01:55 UTC 2024

if thats the case… you can set more ports or open files.

we put a file called Launchd.conf  into /etc   (you need to set the ownership of this right).  it contains the following single line to give more files/ports available to all processes.

limit maxfiles 1000000 1000000

that was an early thing we did to deal with macs typically limiting files each process can open.     It may only be useable in certain versions of OSX..

There is also a file you can create called limit.maxfiles.plist which goes into /Library/LaunchDaemons/      Also check that its permissions are correct.  I think this is where MOST RECENT version of OSX get its limit from

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
        "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>limit.maxfiles</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
      <string>launchctl</string>
      <string>limit</string>
      <string>maxfiles</string>
      <string>524288</string>
      <string>524288</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
    <key>ServiceIPC</key>
    <false/>
  </dict>
</plist>

you make also want to look at the ‘ulimit’ command.   I dug up something on stack overflow
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/32235/how-to-properly-increase-a-ulimit-n-limits

I know that when I type ‘ulimit’ in terminal, I get ‘unlimited’

Its been a fair number of years since I went through the exercise and figured out which approach was right for which versions of OSX.

so, my Somoma machine still has both of them :). /etc/Launchd.conf and /Library/LaunchDaemons/limit.maxfiles.plist

and that helps remove that ridiculous 256 open file limit per process on OSX.

if that is indeed your problem, I hope this helps

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978