Postgres Install Mac Problem

Paul Mulroney pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au
Wed Oct 5 00:45:25 UTC 2022

Hi Das,

You can also try https://postgresapp.com <https://postgresapp.com/> - they have a self-contained version that is suitable for development.  One click install and simple configuration.  We use it for dev on our macs here.

Regards,
Paul.

> On 5 Oct 2022, at 3:39 am, Doug Easterbrook via omnisdev-en <omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com> wrote:
>

> I use brew for a number o things, but not for postgres
>
> we always use enterprise db double clickable installers.   you can get to them by postgesql.org <http://postgesql.org/>
> or, start here https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/ <https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/>
>
> when you set it up, it asks for passwords and all that stuff, plus you can specify the passwords on the command line if you want to do a command line install from terminal.
>

> its just easier as they’ve done all the work with 99% of the things people need.    and they keep the installers up to date, etc.
>

> Doug Easterbrook
> Arts Management Systems Ltd.
> mailto:doug at artsman.com
> http://www.artsman.com
> Phone (403) 650-1978
>
>> On Oct 4, 2022, at 12:30 PM, Das Goravani <goravanis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> In installed Postgres using Brew on my Mac
>> I then did a restart on it to make sure it is running
>> Then I go into pgAdmin and try to make new server
>> To bring up that installation of Postgres into pgAdmin
>> When I make new server I use localhost as the host name
>> I do the fields in the default way, the way that is says to do them on the web
>> And yet when I click OK it says
>>
>> User postgres does not exist
>>
>> I thought the postgres user was put in by postgres upon install.
>>
>> I’m surprised it is not letting me create a localhost Server Representation and connection after a Brew Install
>>
>> Any ideas?

Q: How many software experts does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. That is a hardware problem.
--
Paul W. Mulroney                                            We Don't Do Simple Pty Ltd
pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au       Trading as Logical Developments