Postgres User Password?

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Tue Oct 4 18:10:34 UTC 2022

there is a BIG difference between
1) the postgres USER account in linux and
2) the postgres DATABASE account in the database.

since they have the same name, you need to know which one you are changing.

if you can log into the database via an application or via pgadmin because the pg_hba.conf is set to trust for the local users, then you can easily change the postgres DATABASE password using sql, from any tool, whether it be pgadmin on psql as Andy pointed out.

if you can run the sql, you can change it.

on the other hand, the postgres USER account, in linux — I think the default is blank unless you changed it.

so, try an
su - postgres

leave the password blank and see if that lets you be the postgres user

if not, then you can be the root user in linux.

I think that is
sudo -i

and often times people do not set a password on that in an installation.  it might prompt you to set one .. then you can.

if you are the root user, you can bring postgres up and down.    not sure which version of linux you are using.

I’ve used.

service <servicename> start

(substitute what you called the service for <servicename>).  I’m not a linux guru, so I have to look these things up myself.  there is a place you can go to get a list of the service names.

finally, there are ways to change passwords on USER accounts in linux if you have permisions.  I think it is the Passwd comand
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/change-passwords-in-linux <https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/change-passwords-in-linux>

hope that. helps.

but you need to know if you are changing the postgres USER password or the postgres DATABASE password

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978