Postgres User Password?

Das Goravani goravanis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:51:00 UTC 2022

> On Oct 4, 2022, at 1:33 PM, TBS <andyh at totallybrilliant.com> wrote:
>
> Das
>
> What is most likely is that no, you did not set a Postgres user password upon installation - but its easy to add one now so all is not lost !!
>
> Here is my own note regarding this for Debian :
>
> set postgres password with:
> su - postgres
> psql
> ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD '<newpassword>';
> \q
> exit

Trying the above is giving me a hard time.
When I issue the first line, it asks for the postgres user password
That’s the problem, my passwords don’t work, neither does using the word postgres admin nothing etc
It says authentication failure and quits
So no, this approach is NOT getting me there. Unfortunately.