Postgres 14, libpq and scram

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Wed Jun 29 16:27:36 UTC 2022

hi Chris.

you didn’t say what version of postgres you were using before you installed 14.3.

There was a change to the password hashing from MD5 to scram-sha-256 (more secure).   The pg_hba.conf is likely set up to be scram-sha-256.

if you change PG_HBA.con to TRUST, reload the PG config, and attempt a connection, if it works, then you know the libpq.dll is too old to support scram authentication.

thats the first place I’d start.

we are using Postgres 14 with studio 10.2 and I I’ve updated our libpq.dll to the one that comes with postgres 11 — the version number on the libpq.dll is 11.2.1492.    I have also got this paired with changes to allow connection with TLS 1.2 and scram authentication.

if you want it, I can give you those 5 dll’s to drop into the omnis tree.    but do try removing  scram from the PGAhba to see if you are successful first.

Side note:   you should update to postgres 14.4 — there is a potential b-tree index issue with postgres 14.0 to 14.3.

from postgresql.org web site

2022-06-16 - PostgreSQL 14.4 Released! <https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-144-released-2470/>
The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released PostgreSQL 14.4 <https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-144-released-2470/> to fix an issue that could cause silent data corruption when using the CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createindex.html> or REINDEX CONCURRENTLY <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html>commands. Please see the release announcement <https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-144-released-2470/> for information on how to detect and correct silent data corruption in your indexes.
This release also fixes over 15 bugs since PostgreSQL 14.3 was released in May. For the full list of changes, please review the release notes <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/>.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978