Omnis classic with sqlite

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Mon Jun 27 20:16:01 UTC 2022

hI martin:

this is the basis of my premise:      Omnis 7 can’t talk to SQL lite.  It can talk to ODBC (which can talk to sqllite), but only through the V2 dams.

ergo, if you need to write to a V2 dams, using that interface, then you may as well use postgres as the datbase.   and I know that there are listers that are using omnis 7 and talking to postgres.

All my omnis 7 documentation is paper (books) … and they are filed away deep in the basement.  I don’t know if there is any available in PDF format —  might be that you can ask fellow listers for a PDF version, if you don’t have any at all.

Whats the general difference between V2 and V3 dams.     V2 is built it your self.  do logins, create connections and statement object.   build your own sql.   read the database.  update it — using SQL statements.

I tried to do it with our omnis 7 code some 20 odd years ago, thinking I’d try be compatible with our studio version we were building.  I got connected, did an sql statement to prove it worked...  but then gave up — because I realized that didn’t want two code bases.

so, I know it is possible
you’ll have to find the documentation (or maybe somebody has it)

and ask some fellow listers who have done it for some sample login code.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978