SMTP Send to gmail in OS 10.2 on Mac OS Monterey

Andrew Stolarz stolarz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:20:09 UTC 2022

Mike / Andrew

Google recently discontinued  (I think it was June 1st) the use of "less
secure apps" when using a gmail address. Which is what everyone was doing
to have Omnis work with gmail. If you have a paid workspace account, I
believe they are giving a bit more time. Whoever is using this legacy
method with omnis should plan to discontinue it asap.

What you need to be doing now is enabling your gmail account with 2 factor
authentication, and then setting up an APP password. Here is a quick
article on how to do that.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

from within omnis, the outgoing mail server should be: smtp.gmail.com

If you are using SSL/TLS, you should use port 465.
If you are using StartTLS, you should use port 587.

For the password, you must use the APP password that you created and not
your gmail account password.

Andrew