O7: Looking for an Omnis Classic (7381) External to send emails via SMTP & Office 365

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Sat Jul 30 14:30:54 UTC 2022

hi vic

or another idea for you……. decouple email creation from email sending.

basically use your omnis 7.8 app to put an email request into a database record and let that be done with it.

then make a studio app (or use some other language) whose entire job is to read the database record and send the email, and when successful, flip the status in the data base record from being ’not done’ to ‘done’

that way, you have the ability to track what has been sent and what as failed, and resend the failures after fixing whatever problem caused the failure (eg, bad password, network down, etc)

basically, you are building a queue.

you can use the queue with Alain or Rudolf’s suggestion.

you can use a mail server relay, which is Jim’s suggestion.   (we have used mailgun or similar for that purpose)

The essential issue with omnis 7.8 (if I recall that far back) is either lack of authentication, or lack of support for current authentication methods to office 365 and google mail servers.

so you have to put something in the middle, be it:
— a external, purchased or freeware tool as per Alain or Rudolf
— mail server relay that talks office 365
— a small something you write yourself using a single copy of Studio (or another language) that can talk office 365

and.. in all cases, if your software doesn’t do it already, I’d write out to a database file what you want to send .. so that you can address failures in the future (its an implementation of worker concept and separation of email creation and email sending)

that my $0.02

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978