Bar Code Reader Recommendations?

Paul Mulroney pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au
Thu Jul 21 01:48:44 UTC 2022

Hi Das,

Typically the barcode reader will emit a CR after the successful scan, so you can trap that event in the remote form.  If you have control over which barcode reader is used, you can usually program them to emit a TAB after a scan, which works much easier in an Omnis window or remote form.

We used the Motorola LS2208 scanner.  The manual that comes with it has instructions for how to program the trailing character after a successful scan.

The other thought is - if you are using a remote form on a iPad/Tablet or iPhone/mobile, you can use the application wrapper to get access to the camera and use it to scan barcodes.  It's fairly easy to setup once you are running inside the wrapper, and it works surprisingly well.

Regards,
Paul

> On 21 Jul 2022, at 6:03 am, Mike Matthews - Omnis via omnisdev-en <omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com> wrote:
>
> After a barcode is read, you can control another char, eg, TAB or CR.  Then you can capture the value, progress to next line, etc with afterEvent .
>
> Mike Matthews
>
> Lineal Software Solutions
> Commercial House, The Strand<x-apple-data-detectors://1/1> Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1EU<x-apple-data-detectors://1/1>
>
> omnis at lineal.co.uk<mailto:mike.matthews at lineal.co.uk>
>
> www.lineal.co.uk<http://www.lineal.co.uk/>
>
> www.sqlworks.co.uk<http://www.sqlworks.co/>
>

> On 20 Jul 2022, at 22:12, Das Goravani <goravanis at gmail.com<mailto:goravanis at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> One thing that comes to mind, when entering products one after another, the cursor is in the Product Number field on the form
>
> How do you advance to the next line after a scan? Without them having to hit tab or return?
>
> I suppose if the product numbers were ALL a CERTAIN LENGTH you could trap for Len() within evKeyPress event type.
>
> What do you all do to advance to the next line after a scan?
>
> I looked up bar code readers on Amazon and was surprised to find many that are bluetooth and wireless and wired
>
> They’re cheap! I was surprised. Amazon’s Choice is only $34 US, that’s low. It does most types of codes. It has good range.
>
> It’s rather amazing how most products can be found on Amazon. I should just learn to look there before I ask a question !

  <https://www.logicaldevelopments.com.au/>	Paul W Mulroney
Logical Developments
Customised Software Solutions
Ph: 08 9458 3889
 	We Don't Do Simple Pty Ltd
trading as
Logical Developments
ACN 161 009 374
 	  <https://www.facebook.com/logicaldevelopmentswa/>   <https://twitter.com/WeDontDoSimple>   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/logicaldevelopments/>   <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPldVVgWR05WX3cVrR5WUQw>