Studio 10.2 and Big Sur

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Wed Jan 26 16:31:38 UTC 2022

hi Andrew.

most people use omnis for business applications — many of which are point of sale/database ,etc.

this whole ‘green’ thing that lets applications and other things in the system sleep, in my mind works fine for non-point of sales apps put into the background..    but I want our omnis app to run, regardless.

so, no matter what, on OSX, when we install our omnis runtime, I do these commands to make sure it keeps running.

# prevent machine sleep
sudo pmset -a sleep 0
sudo pmset -a disksleep 0

# turn off app nap globally
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

the last one completely disables app nap.    that way omnis never sleeps.    neither does anything else, but then, on a point of sale machine…. You probably don’t want things to go to sleep.

also, with today's M1 mac’s — can run just about anything you throw at them.

just my opinion

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978