Postgres First Logon Questions

Das Goravani goravanis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:18:41 UTC 2022

Doug,

Thank you so much. It’s good to see you again on the list !

I will try to understand and follow these instructions (by looking things up)

If I may ask: Herein you indicate I need to create my own user. Then you give many command words in a row starting with LOGIN

> On Jan 23, 2022, at 11:15 AM, Doug Easterbrook via omnisdev-en <omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com> wrote:
>
> the database is NOT named postgres —    postgres is special thing.
>
> you need to create a database of your own … and then create tables in it.
>
> before you create a database, you will want to create your own user (again, don’t use the postgres user lot log in)
>
> here are some commands you can use in pgAdmin4. (from pgadmin.org <http://pgadmin.org/>)
>
> CREATE ROLE “myUserName" LOGIN SUPERUSER NOINHERIT CREATEDB CREATEROLE ;
> ALTER ROLE "myUserName" PASSWORD ‘myPassword' ; "

Is this line above verbatim SQL I could just plug in? I can’t tell if all the capitalized words are modifier’s to the original CREATE ROLE command on this line, or if they are individual stand on their own commands you CAN DO in pgAdmin4?

I’m guessing those are postgres commands. Stand on their own.

Then again there’s "CREATEROLE" as opposed to "CREATE ROLE" (has a space in it).. you use both.. though "SUPERUSER" seems like a modifier word, for use with when creating role.. to modify it to being SUPERUSER status.. same with NOINHERIT, seems like a modifier, the rest seem stand alone. I suppose looking up these words will clarify which they are.

I will start with "CREATE ROLE", see if that’s how you create a user in Postgres, I suppose it is so, and I’ll find out the full syntax and the optional modifiers it undoubtedly has some of, and I’ll eventually run it in pgAdmin which came with the install. Then I’ll probably try to login to it, and try to create a database as you give below.

> and then create a database called myDatabaseName with UTF8 encoding that is owned by myUserName.
>
> CREATE DATABASE “myDatabaseName"
>    WITH
>    OWNER = “myUserName"
>    ENCODING = 'UTF8'
>    LC_COLLATE = 'C'
>    LC_CTYPE = 'C'
>    TABLESPACE = pg_default
>    CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

The above looks like straight SQL code am I right?

> then from that point forward, do all playing with  myDatabaseName  logging in as myUserName
>
> all these commands can be put in via pgAdmin4 in to a SQL window.    you could likely do it in omnis SQL connection after you connect with ‘postgres’ user the first time

I will use pgAdmin4 for these commands.
But as an aside, you then refer to being able to connect with the 'postgres' user for the first time.
I cannot seem to connect with the 'postgres' user for the first time.
No Session appears in the notation inspector to validate my connection.
I am getting a flag True on the logon method line when stepped.
Postgres is running on the server. I did edit it’s config files to listen to ' * ' and the _hba to trusting my IP as 192.168.0.0/16
Those changes were easy and clear to me. When logging on I’m using 'postgres' as name of database, you have to have that? Is it that I have this wrong database name why I can’t connect?
But this is an aside, that I can’t connect with 'postgres' user for the first time. I will get on with the homework of making a user and then a database.

> or you can do the equivalent using the command line PSQL binary that postgres installs.

PGAdmin seems easy-interfaced for me.. I will use it. Unless you tell me that something else is better.