Connecting to Database when it's remote

Thad Bogert thad at technosolver.com
Tue Jan 18 21:53:39 UTC 2022

Hi Das,

With a client/server database such as Postgres, it would be a matter of specifying the IP of the remote database.  This assumes that there is an internet accessible port that the database is listening on.

With SQLite, Omnis has developed a SQLite Data Bridge which would enable access to a SQLite database via tcp/ip.  I haven’t use it before so I can't attest to the performance or reliability of using it with remote database connections.

Ideally when Omnis is using a database over a network, it is preferable to have a dedicated network connection (i.e. ethernet) versus a wireless connection which can potentially cause dropped connections.  If wireless is inevitable, you would need to add code to handle a dropped connection.  This could be done as part of an SQL error handler that traps for the error, re-connects to the database and re-issues the SQL that failed.

As for an app server: If the primary use of the application is through remote forms, then it would be ideal to have the database on the same machine or the same network.