Tracking Omnis

Rob Mostyn mostyn at platformis.net
Mon Feb 14 00:19:38 UTC 2022

Hi $All,

I have a conundrum… We have an ultra thin web app which has been working well for years.
As our web app requirements have evolved and become more sophisticated, the complexity of the code has become greater.

The content of web pages is managed through a window in a fat client app (same library opened in different contexts).

What I want to do is from the window class instance to kick off a remote task that will run the desired web object and return the page content back to the window to be displayed in an oBrowser window so I can see the result.  I created a remote task, subclassed from the remote task in the web app and then I try to to this:

Do $classes.rtPageDisplayTest.$open()

When I do this I get the error message:
To use a remote form class, you must set the design task of the remote form class to a remote task

$open is not a method normally available to the remote task but when it is typed in, Omnis syntactically resolves it and applies the coda-chroming to suggest it is a legal statement.

This message does not surprise me.  I am trying to open a remote task from a regular task and I know I am “breaking the rules”.  Has anyone figured out a way to trick Omnis in doing this?

TIA,
Rob Mostyn
mostyn at platformis.net

+44 (0)20 3233 0044

As Carl Sagan once said:
One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority." ... Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else.