Using Postgres Backup and Restore

Mike Matthews - Omnis omnis at lineal.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 18:33:51 UTC 2022

Hello Das,

I use PGAdmin to do these tasks.  A nice GUI indeed.

Mike Matthews

On 13 Feb 2022, at 18:17, Das Goravani <goravanis at gmail.com<mailto:goravanis at gmail.com>> wrote:

I want to move a postgres database from one server to another.
I am reading the Postgres docs about pg_dump and psql to restore.

What I don’t get is basic: Are these commands to be entered on the command line or are they SQL?

Like the instruction from postgres:

Pg_dump dbname > outfile

Is that a command you enter into Terminal on the Mac, the command line?

And is outfile a path? Should you create the actual file at the end of the path?

Or is it meant to be a path that ends with a directory into which you want the file to go?

I’m thinking outfile is a complete path, with the file name given, but not created.. it will create it. That’s what I’m thinking.

I’m also thinking these are command line commands.