Using Postgres Backup and Restore

Das Goravani goravanis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:17:59 UTC 2022

I want to move a postgres database from one server to another.
I am reading the Postgres docs about pg_dump and psql to restore.

What I don’t get is basic: Are these commands to be entered on the command line or are they SQL?

Like the instruction from postgres:

Pg_dump dbname > outfile

Is that a command you enter into Terminal on the Mac, the command line?

And is outfile a path? Should you create the actual file at the end of the path?

Or is it meant to be a path that ends with a directory into which you want the file to go?

I’m thinking outfile is a complete path, with the file name given, but not created.. it will create it. That’s what I’m thinking.

I’m also thinking these are command line commands.