Postgres is going to sleep or something... $logontimeout

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Thu Feb 3 16:58:41 UTC 2022

hi chris.

$logintimeout…. can you confirm that for me?  the documentation says

Maximum wait for a connection, in seconds. Zero implies wait indefinitely. The default timeout is set to 15 seconds. A timeout of less than 2 seconds is not recommended.

https://www.omnis.net/developers/resources/onlinedocs/Programming/09serv.html#properties-and-methods

I took that to mean the wait for an initial session and if the default is 15 (which seems to be what you indicate), it is 15 seconds to wait while you are logging in.  It also seems to relate directly to the postgres documentation for libpq (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/libpq-connect.html) meaning a ‘wait to get connected'

have you found that altering this parameter increases the time you can be connected and idle without omnis logging out out???

I have have never changed this parameter — and we have stayed connected for days.

I’d love to hear of your experience with it

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978