Postgres is going to sleep or something...

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Thu Feb 3 16:36:30 UTC 2022

seeing the following message at the top of a log is fairly common if postgres was shut down abnormally.

"database system was interrupted"

it means that postgres notices that there was an abnormal shutdown for whatever reason.

so it goes into ‘recovery mode’ and starts the database and rolls the WAL logs (write ahead logs) into the main database.

that simply means
1) postgres was killed in some bad way (still to be determined)
2) it knows that it died
3) it uses special logs to recover completed transactions that never made it to the database and roll them into the database

That message is you seeing postgres doing its job  as being ACID compliant - - making sure you don’t lose completed transactions and that the database is always in a pristine state.       its one of the things that makes it so reliable.

you’d want to look at the END of a prevvious log to see if there is any message saying why it shut down.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978