How unique PK value in Postgres?

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Tue Feb 1 22:19:05 UTC 2022

I don’t see what the issue is.

in omnis, you have to declare an auto-incrementing field as seq

in sqllite, you have to declare it as autoincrement

in postgres, you declare it as either SERIAL or BIGSERIAL.  (or you build your own since default values can be used for things  you haven’t thought of yet .   maybe you want your foreign keys to be only even numbers,     maybe you want postgres to grab a 100 at a time and cache them).

so, in my mind, exactly the same, just different words.

just because its new or different, doesn’t make it hard.   we just have to learn the dialect of SQL

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978