Importing straight to SQL

Das Goravani goravanis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 14:19:46 UTC 2022

My data, which is all the cities of the world, is full of accented characters.. diacritical marks, on the letters.. many countries use them, and so the data is full of them.. like é and á etc.

They come in wrong if I just import straight files created by an Omnis export.

I have to open the files in BBEdit, a powerful Mac Text Editor program, and do a Save As.. and use the little menu it has for "Encoding" and select UTF-8 WITH BOM.. it’s the WITH BOM that does the trick. I discovered this and it works.

WITH the BOM it then imports the characters correctly into Omnis. Without it the accented characters become weird characters, symbols get inserted.. it messes up entirely without the BOM