NO: multiple remote developers

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Sun Aug 14 00:38:14 UTC 2022

hi Rob:

why do you want to access from a single machine in the office?   I’m hearing an implication here of security (ad it sounds like you are using some remote access software).

its not really scaleable unless you go for something like remote desktop server on a windows machine - since thats one of the few software solutions that let mujltiple people loginto the same box remotely.

On the other hand, why not just develop at home on the home computer.

I suspect the issue is the VCS and how to get to it.

 if you:

use some VPN software to connect to your router (or a server on you router).
we’ve been using openvpn (https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-mac-os/) for years - and its free
all you need to do is set up the VPN software in your router
decent routers usually support openvpn (since it is kind of a standard)
we use pfsense in our server racks — and thats what our VPN’s currently talk to
my asus will support it.
and once that is done, just connect to your VCS
(postgres works fine),
you only need to allow ‘local’ ip addresses — i.e. those within the local network since the VPN software gets assigned a local up address
you don’t have to open any special ports in the router

if you d’t want to use openvpn and are using mac’s, then you van set up VPN connections within ’networking’

that’s how I’d do it ….     so everybody can develop locally on their machine, with some local database and just check in their changes to the VCS. (it you could use the git repository/json export)

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978