Mail Gurus Please Help

Ben Butler 760.f563 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:46:20 UTC 2022

The only thing to add to Doug's post is you need to differentiate between
whether your email is delivered directly to you on port 25 using smtp and
consequently reuires this port to be forwarded to you mail server's
internal private ip, or whether your email is delivered to some other mail
server on the internet to a catch all mailbox for any email adress for that
domain, and you mail server then subsequently retrieves email via pop3 from
the first mail server with the catch all.

So NO IP will make the needed change to the A record used in your MX
record, if you are behind your router / firewall you would exoect you have
already forwarded port 25, if you have moved your server so it is now
behind a different firewall/router then port 25 wont be set to be forwarded
to you mail server.

For completness the other thing that could cause problems is if the isp
broadband provider for whatever reason has decides to block abd filter port
25 to their broadband customers, a particullarly dumb and pointless thing
to do, but it is technically possible that this could be done, in which
case email will never get delivered in the first place to the edge of your
firewall as it would have been filtered out before that, but your isp would
need to particularly dim to do this.

Ben