MacOS 12.3 deprecates Python 2.7, messes up kDevOmnisPDF

Michael Houlberg michael at houlbergdevelopment.com
Sat Apr 2 18:04:40 UTC 2022

$Listers,

Whoo boy.  After upgrading to MacOS 12.3, it appears PDFs are no longer created in Omnis when using the kDevOmnisPDF device.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-12_3-release-notes#Python

At least that’s my theory.  I have been using the option of creating the PDF in a temporary location to be deleted later.

Do Omnis PDF Device.$settemp(kTrue,20) Returns lPath
Gives no indication there is a problem, lPath is returned correctly

Calculate $prefs.$reportfile as lPath
Looks the same as before

But when I print, I get a message there is no content to the PDF file.  I also don’t see a file in the temp folder.

However, what still works is to use the kDevPrinter device and simply set $prefs.$macosdesttype as kPDF.  I think this uses the MacOS ability to create the PDF, instead of OmnisPDF running on the Python included within the Omnis application.

Michael Houlberg
Houlberg Development, LLC