O$5 (& O$10.2) Updating tables and column definitions from library updates via notation?

Andy Hilton andyh at totallybrilliant.com
Thu Mar 11 21:29:26 UTC 2021

Das

In simple terms and pseudo code, lets say we want to add a new field to table A

So lets call this change number 1

So we have a table called (let’s say) ‘updatesapplied’

This has (again let’s say) one column : updatenumber

So when we start, we fetch the highest update number in our updatesapplied table…..

So to start we get a null……

That means our last applied change number was 0 - ok ?

So we have a maintenance method here to see what needs updating at start, something like this :

If lastappliedchange < 1
    Update table A with whatever change is required
    If that works
        Add row to updatesapplied with updatenumber = 1
    End if
End if

Repeat as updates get created

So next time we start, our lastappliedchange would be 1 so we can easily skip over the requirement to update that table

Does that make sense better ?

Andy Hilton
Totally Brilliant Software Inc
Phone (US) : (863) 409 4870