How to read IMAP/POP and save as .EML

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Wed Mar 3 16:58:23 UTC 2021

hi Mike:

never done it … but those sorts of things pique curiosity

stack overflow and a couple of others maybe come to the rescue.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1264672/how-to-save-mailmessage-object-to-disk-as-eml-or-msg-file

according to this, the ‘smtpclient’ (what ever that is, but I can guess) .. willwrite directly to .eml files.

it got me thinking down the path of using CURL (which is what the ow3 workers use)…

curl can access imap or pop servers.  https://busylog.net/test-imap-with-curl-imap-example/

so curl can read email  https://everything.curl.dev/usingcurl/reademail

so, maybe using CURL (ow3 workers) with the right flags to ask the server to deliver the mail in .eml format???

I didn’t go further than that.

https://curl.se/docs/manpage.html

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com