O$: Subwindow inside a complex grid

Paul Mulroney pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au
Mon Jun 28 08:07:24 UTC 2021

Hi Mike,

That was the plan! Doh! :(

I can switch fields in code, but since it's all done on the fly, there's a lot more code that needs to be in place when I'm constructing the window, it's going to be painful.  A subwindow inside a complex grid could make it a little easier to handle!

Regards,
Paul.

> On 28 Jun 2021, at 4:03 pm, Mike Matthews - Omnis <omnis at lineal.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> Is the subwindow going to be in the complex grid?  I was told recently by UK support that objects inside a CG are considered a no no, objects such as subwins I think.
>
> In latest version, you can’t drag certain objects into a CG, but if it is already there, it still won’t work.
>
> But I might be wrong in your case.
>
> Mike Matthews
>
> Lineal Software Solutions
> Commercial House, The Strand<x-apple-data-detectors://1/1> Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1EU<x-apple-data-detectors://1/1>
>
> omnis at lineal.co.uk<mailto:mike.matthews at lineal.co.uk>
>
> www.lineal.co.uk<http://www.lineal.co.uk/>
>
> www.sqlworks.co.uk<http://www.sqlworks.co/>
>

> On 28 Jun 2021, at 08:54, Paul Mulroney <pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au<mailto:pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au>> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a window with a bunch of fields for data entry.  One of the fields is a droplist, and users can pick an entry from the droplist inside the complex grid, no problem.
>
> Recently, the droplist has grown to over 200 lines, and the customer wants to make this into an entry field tied to a lookup window.  No problem.  I thought I'd make it a subwindow instead, that switches between the droplist and the lookup when it detects that the droplist will get more than 30 lines.
>
> It's not playing nicely!  Does anyone have a demo where they've done something similar, or can give me some pointers?  A subwindow has a $dataname property, which might help, but I'm not sure how to use it.
>
> (What makes it more complicated is that the makeup of the columns in the complex grid is decided when the window opens, and I use notation to create the columns as needed. Users want to customise everything! :) )
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Paul.
>

> Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy. @ProCopy_Aus on Twitter
> --
> Paul W. Mulroney                                            We Don't Do Simple Pty Ltd
> pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au<mailto:pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au>       Trading as Logical Developments
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.logicaldevelopments.com.au&c=E,1,9tPGrO0k9xOkUdU-6GeGAsrts9ASTcQfXVYA-ltmM9RESW4OBcwlWmbH9x0hTUOEod1kBJUCjAfedbiycdMqXRCm40U9QgG4hfwGdQHc0ZV4gQ,,&typo=1                   ACN 161 009 374
> Ph: +61 8 9458 3889                                       86 Coolgardie Street
>                                                                        BENTLEY  WA  6102

  <https://www.logicaldevelopments.com.au/>	Paul W Mulroney
Logical Developments
Customised Software Solutions
Ph: 08 9458 3889
 	We Don't Do Simple Pty Ltd
trading as
Logical Developments
ACN 161 009 374
 	  <https://www.facebook.com/logicaldevelopmentswa/>   <https://twitter.com/WeDontDoSimple>   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/logicaldevelopments/>   <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPldVVgWR05WX3cVrR5WUQw>