OT: How to translate a large document

Paul Mulroney pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au
Thu Jun 24 00:29:46 UTC 2021

Hi Graham,

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing.

I tried to set it up, but Google wants me to supply a credit card before it will enable the API.  It's because I'm an existing user of their services, that they won't offer a free trial period.  Looking at the code, it looks really straightforward.

Regards,
Paul.

> On 23 Jun 2021, at 9:36 pm, graham.stevens at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Das,
>
> You might find the Omnis library that Rob and I put on GitHub a useful place to start. It has a window that connects to the Google API. You can find it here:
> https://github.com/PISL/omnis-translate
>
> Hope you find it useful. Any questions, let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Graham
>
>> On 22 Jun 2021, at 21:26, Das Goravani <goravanis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello $all,
>>
>> I have a 2 MB text file full of English that I want to auto translate into other languages.
>>
>> I want to use Google Translate if possible, otherwise I may not be interested.
>>
>> This is because I have found other auto translators to be second class in output.. really actually unacceptable.
>>
>> But Google does well.
>>
>> I tried today to use their document translator on translate.google.com <http://translate.google.com/> but it only translates a very short section at the beginning of the document and then leaves the English thereafter.  Their FAQ states that the limit is a 1 MB file but they translate way less than 1 MB.  I fed it a 750KB document, less than a MB, and it only translated the first 5% of the document and left the English thereafter.
>>
>> I’m wondering if anybody knows how to translate larger files with Google Translate. Perhaps there is a way that I can’t see because of my lack of education in things such as API’s and the like. I am a mere power computer user.. not very powerful.. and I know Omnis.. but I don’t know any other language at all.
>>
>> If it will only do a little at a time.. I could output my English original in many files
>>
>> Then I would need a way to automate this as it would be hundreds of files based on how little they translated for me today.. or it would be 100 files..
>>
>> So I would need to automate this:
>>
>> Go to translation website address on browser
>> Click two buttons one after the other
>> Select the right file in the file picker, the next file to be done
>> Click the translate button
>> Web page appears with translation
>> Select all
>> Copy
>> Switch to TextEdit (we’re on Mac)
>> Do a new file
>> Paste
>> Save as
>> Name and save it with correct “next file” name
>> Repeat the above until all files are done
>>
>> If only there was a good online document translator that was good quality translation and affordable
>>
>> Any ideas.. ?
>>
>> It seems like Google doesn’t mind doing small amounts.. Omnis is certainly capable of slicing up my original.. yes my original is a bunch of records in Omnis.. text.. astrological readings to be exact.. if only I could communicate with Google right from Omnis and get the return back..

> [...]

  <https://www.logicaldevelopments.com.au/>	Paul W Mulroney
Logical Developments
Customised Software Solutions
Ph: 08 9458 3889
 	We Don't Do Simple Pty Ltd
trading as
Logical Developments
ACN 161 009 374
 	  <https://www.facebook.com/logicaldevelopmentswa/>   <https://twitter.com/WeDontDoSimple>   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/logicaldevelopments/>   <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPldVVgWR05WX3cVrR5WUQw>