NO: Sierra Apache SSL

Mark Grinde mark at jammin.com
Wed Jun 9 15:34:41 UTC 2021

Hello $all-

This is not an Omnis question, but it is a setup issue on a machine that may be used as an Omnis web server (if that helps)…

We are looking for advice on how to configure a mac webserver with an SSL certificate.

We have a mac mini running macOS Sierra where we cannot seem to find the right magic to install a GoDaddy SSL certificate to work with apache.

In the old days, Apple had a server app that worked alongside regular OSX.  It generated the CSR, and it then configured apache with the resulting SSL files from GoDaddy.  We had used this successfully for years.

These days, however, Apple has decided that SSL certificates must be installed manually.

After searching the web for answers, we have tried countless ways to manually generate the CSR, install the GoDaddy SSL file(s), and configure the apache conf file, all without success.

So, we’re hoping someone out there might know of a proven step-by-step procedure for making this happen?

The apache conf file wants paths to an SSLCertificateFile, SSLCertificateKeyFile, and SSLCertificateChainFile.

GoDaddy provides a hash.crt file, a hash.pem file, and a gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt file.  We do not understand how the GoDaddy files correspond to the apache file requirements.  And GoDaddy tech support, for the record, has been woefully unhelpful.

If this is beyond the scope of free advice, we would be willing to engage a knowledgeable paid consultant— if anyone listening is or knows of one.

Thanks!

Mark