JWT JSON Web Tokens and Omnis Studio

Bastiaan Olij bastiaan at muxworks.com.au
Mon Jun 7 22:20:51 UTC 2021

Hey Reg,

Been awhile since I did my implementation but it was pretty straight
forward.
JSON Web Tokens are basically 2 JSON segments, one identifying the hash
algorithm and one with your actual data (and a few mandatory fields).
You base64 both documents and concatenate them. Then create a hash and
base64 the outcome.
Concatenate all 3 base64 strings and you have your token.

The encryption information and your data aren't actually encrypted and
anyone who has the token can just decode them using base64 so don't put
anything secret in there. It's the 3rd part which encodes the hash which
allows you to verify the data came from a known source as only the
source and destination have the secret key.

Now I did the hashing in PostgreSQL with its crypto library, not in
Omnis, I'm not 100% sure if Omnis can do the required hash.

See more: https://jwt.io/

Cheers,

Bas