Headed List Function needed

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Thu Jun 3 15:01:12 UTC 2021

hi Mike:

Brian pointed out that it can be done.

but to me, what you ask borders on an programer implementation/feature problem, not a root omnis problem.

we implement also implement column searches on headed lists.   I put a popup of the fields to search by.       They are all in a subwindow

currently the search goes against the database by adding a where clause, but it wouldn’t be hard to wire ins something that searches the column in the list and shows different values in the column.

A subwindow would give you a GENERIC widget that you could apply to any headed list and then have the implementation the way you wanted.

I compare what you are trying to do 0— to be similar to totals in a headed list.   Yes we do this manually …. yes Omnis has a feature for that ….  I’m not a fan of the look of how it was implemented.

I think omnis should provide based functionality in the window, like drag columns, drop files, clicking on headers, all that stuff.

the action that is taken from the drag column, drop file, header click is all up to the programmer who needs to provide their own code for the action .. and over ride it if necessary.

in the case of what you suggest, a headed list with a companion filter subwindow  — is all that is needed to do an implementation of specific features that you might want — in a way that you can customized, perhaps on field type or what have you.  you could use filters, or just read the list to get distinct  (which you can get with a list.$cols.$removeDuplicates or something like that).

just an opinion.

I know it is hard to spearate what the tool should do and what we should do..        subwindows and inheritance help, imho.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978