Survey: How many underaged Omnis Developers are there?

Stephane Pras stpras at orange.fr
Tue Jun 1 16:32:24 UTC 2021

Hi Folks !

I was underaged when I discovered … Omnis III

Not any more now …

As I already mentioned in the forum, in these old times Omnis was introduced as an easy-to-use software anybody could use : « Even the dog could do it ! ». And largely advertised everywhere to attract people.

But it was so successful, that Omnis management decided to drop the single user market, and to focus on big clients only. Shareholders probably were of the opinion the profit/cost ratio was much better with them, than wasting time on a lot of petty time-consuming low-money users. That’s a general trend nowadays. Meanwhile Filemaker was regularly advertised.

Consequently, Omnis was not any more advertised to the public, and the only users left were those who already heard of Omnis. New users are those who get hired by developer already using Omnis, or who have the chance to discover it with a teacher. That’s where we are now. Nobody else is aware of Omnis.

Wide spreading the use of Omnis means users should do themselves the advertising job Omnis company is not doing anymore ! In my opinion it’s worth of it, because Omnis is still one of the best database software, but who can afford it ?

If some of the few big Omnis clients give up and change to something else, I’m afraid Omnis company could collapse. But what can we do to have a larger user base for Omnis ? And to have Omnis company organizing better information and coaching ?

Stephane