OS: One large library or many little ones?

Paul Mulroney pmulroney at logicaldevelopments.com.au
Mon Aug 30 01:06:13 UTC 2021

Hi Jim,

We did the same as Andy.  When we moved from O7 to Studio, we realised that we had developed the same contacts system several times over, and each one was slightly different.  By merging the contact-specific features of each system into the one "contacts" library, we could deploy that to everyone.  The upside is that fix the bug for one client -> fixes it for everyone.  So we separated our monolithic libraries into separate libraries, one for each function/task/category.

Just like Andy, we created a "Broker" library that would load the individual libraries and manage dependancies etc (eg Library X requires library Y etc), and also has a priority system where a library could request a particular class, and if the custom library advertised that it had that class, then the custom class was used instead of the default one.  It's a powerful system, which allows for a large degree of customisation over the standard functionality.

We have modules for administration like contacts, appointment book, etc; accounting modules like cash and accrual, invoicing, receivables, payables etc; industry-specific modules for transport, scrap metal, manufacturing.  This gives us a solid core for any new system - a combination of existing modules plus any customer-specific options to build a system rapidly.

It's a bit of effort to get the structure in place, but the benefits are enormous.  Well worth it!

Regards,
Paul.