OS: One large library or many little ones?

Andy Hilton andyh at totallybrilliant.com
Mon Aug 30 00:46:22 UTC 2021

Jim

FWIW when I was contemplating these exact questions many moons ago, I opted for principally one main app (made up of many individual libraries really to make it easier for me to understand) - and then I add separate ‘client’ libraries on a per client basis…..

What I do is to have some principal generic code that, for each component required, looks to see :

a) do I have a ‘client library’ installed ?
b) If I do, do I have the required component in that library ?
c) if found, use the client version
d) if not found then use try default (generic) component

This has allowed me to create both highly customizable as well as easy default setups and maintain my code base over many years…….

For comparison, I have around 200 database tables in total, and run 9 ‘application’ libraries, and 4 ’system’ libraries and assorted custom client libraries as required

It took a while to evolve but I am very comfortable with it and find it pretty easy to maintain and continue to develop….

Best design decision I ever made to break it up into smaller modules……

Happy to share more if needed…..

Andy Hilton
Totally Brilliant Software Inc
Phone (US) : (863) 409 4870