Postgres.app

Alex Clay aclay at mac.com
Thu Aug 19 00:26:15 UTC 2021

Hi Michael,

While it won't help with your connection woes, I recommend you update from md5 to scram-256, which is much more secure. If you're setting up a new environment in PG 13, there's not much you should need to do beside change the allowed authentication mechanism and generate a fresh password.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-password.html
https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/from-md5-to-scram-sha-256-in-postgresql/
https://blog.crunchydata.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-postgresql-passwords-to-scram

The "Client or interface function not available" sounds more like an issue with the client application being unable to locate the PostgreSQL libpq library (I'm guessing this is an Omnis client). You might try using the following instructions to install a current version of this library: https://www.omnis.net/developers/resources/technotes/tnsq0040.jsp

You could verify this is an issue in Omnis and not an issue with the PostgreSQL server by connecting with an alternate client app from the client computer, like pgAdmin. If you can connect there, then the issue is with Omnis.

FWIW your connection line looks like it will work—you've basically got wide-open access (using a password) for non-SSL connections to all databases for all roles (users) from all IPv4 addresses.

Also note that lines in pg_hba.conf are processed from the top down, so if there is a line preceding the one you added that blocks your connection, then your configuration line will never apply. You could move this line to the top and reload PostgreSQL to ensure it's processed first.

Alex