Desktop apps and Web - what makes sense?

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Tue Aug 10 20:29:50 UTC 2021

hi Greg.

for most apps, the ‘glue’ is the database/storage technology.      Everything we do derives from postgres.  even high volume fast access reddis files we use for caching - invariably start with postgres.       Postgres is the core.

around that … we use technologies that make success.

eg,

we use pgsql stored procedures when we weant some data manipulation to be really fast and close to the database
we use linux cause postgres is faster an more scaleable
we use CEPH on multiple machines to allow fault tolerant, cross machine, redundant storage of our data in postgres
we use ProxMox to manage the linux machines that manage our data
we use python because its really good at handling a lot of web requests simultaneously that allow people to get to the data
we are going to use reddis cache to handle sepmaphores to allow access to the database under high volume loads
we use omnis to handle back office data entry and reporting against the database.
we build rest api’s to let users and programmers get access to the database using 3 tier architecture

the glue is your data base.   it is the constant that needs to be guaranteed to be there

omnis is about 1/2 of our code base.  and its great at what it does on multiple platforms.  couldn’t do without it.      but the glue is the database.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978