O$ v8.1 Omnis to Omnis talking..

Bryan Brodie brb at appimatic.com
Sat Sep 28 14:54:07 EDT 2019

Hi Mike,

There is a very nice open source library tool that runs on Mac, Linux and
Windows, and securely facilitates raw or formatted data transmission on
LANs and WANs.

https://nmap.org/ncat/

I am using this tool to transmit data across an intranet from a web
application to Star Micronic ethernet receipt printers.

This tool literally saved me weeks (if not months) of development time for
my current project.

I am developing / debugging on MacOS and deploying to CentOS and Debian
(LAMP).

I have not used it with native Omnis, but I know from experience that Omnis
could easily be adapted to work with this tool.

What I was particularly pleased with, was that when I transmit a print
block to the printer, I receive a result code back as to the success or
failure of the data transmission.

Take a look, I bet you'll find the shortest distance to your solution there.

from the website:

Ncat is a feature-packed networking utility which reads and writes data
across networks from the command line.

Ncat was written for the Nmap Project as a much-improved reimplementation
of the venerable Netcat.

It uses both TCP and UDP for communication and is designed to be a reliable
back-end tool to instantly provide network connectivity to other
applications and users. Ncat will not only work with IPv4 and IPv6 but
provides the user with a virtually limitless number of potential uses.

Among Ncat’s vast number of features there is the ability to chain Ncats
together, redirect both TCP and UDP ports to other sites, SSL support, and
proxy connections via SOCKS4 or HTTP (CONNECT method) proxies (with
optional proxy authentication as well). Some general principles apply to
most applications and thus give you the capability of instantly adding
networking support to software that would normally never support it.

Ncat is integrated with Nmap and is available in the standard Nmap download
packages (including source code and Linux, Windows, and Mac binaries)
available from the Nmap download page. You can also find it in our SVN
source code repository.

Many users have asked for a statically compiled version of ncat.exe that
they can just drop on a Windows system and use without having to run any
installer or copy over extra library files. We have built a statically
compiled Windows binary version of Ncat 5.59BETA1.

The Ncat Users' Guide contains full documentation including many tips,
tricks, and practical real-life examples! There is also an Ncat man
page for a quick usage summary.

Hope this helps!

Bryan Brodie
Appimatic LLC