8.1 question about sharing datafiles on a server

Marc De Roover omnis1 at arcict.com
Tue Nov 19 03:04:58 EST 2019


Terence,

You do not need and MacOS server, just a Mac which can act as server.

We use a MacMini with a 6 drive Pegasus Raid6 system.

We chosen a Raid system for fast data acces and the fastest MacMini ( 
look for maximum TurboSpeed ), since ODB server is a 1core process this 
will be the fastest pace at which the process will run.

The impact of the drive system will be probably of greater importance 
then the Processor.

No experience with linux and te check if ODB is available for linux.
But you could use a ODB on windows.

Cheers,

Marc


On 18 Nov 2019, at 22:56, Terence Young wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Based upon the responses, I cannot share the native datafile on a 
> MACOSX server;I will need to use an Omnis Data Bridge server .
>
> Question, can the Omnis Data Bridge server be run on a Mac fileserver. 
>  If not, has anyone had any experience suing ubantu?
>
> terry
>
>
> Terence J. Young, DC
>
> System Administrator
>
> IT
>
> (608) 280-2679
>
> ________________________________
> From: omnisdev-en <omnisdev-en-bounces at lists.omnis-dev.com> on behalf 
> of Marc De Roover <omnis1 at arcict.com>
> Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:34 PM
> To: OmnisDev List - English <omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com>
> Subject: Re: 8.1 question about sharing datafiles on a server
>
> Hello Terence,
>
> You can setup a ODBserver ( Omnis Data Bridge server )
>
> Which is purposely build to share an Omnis datafile through a service.
>
> Works with Windows and Mac clients and different versions of Omnis.
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> Marc
>
>
>
> On 18 Nov 2019, at 22:22, Terence Young wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recenly been upgradiing  my 4.2 libraries to 8.1.
>>
>> I have one remain library that still uses a native datafile (the
>> others use sql; I converted the sql syntax from Sybase ASE to
>> postgres).
>>
>> Here is my question, in 8.1, we are not permitted to share libraries
>> on a server; however, does the same go for the datafiles?  Can I 
>> share
>> a native datafile among several users on a server?  I can do this in
>> 4.2; the question is can I do it in 8.1?
>>
>> terry
>>
>>
>> Terence J. Young, DC
>>
>> System Administrator
>>
>> IT
>>
>> (608) 280-2679
>>
>> If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, 
>> delete
>> the e-mail, and do not use, disclose or store the information it
>> contains. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential
>> information, including records protected by WI Mental Health 51.30
>> and/or AODA federal confidentiality rules (42 CFR Part 2) - both
>> prohibit you from making any further disclosure of this information
>> unless further disclosure is expressly permitted by the written
>> consent of the person to whom it pertains or as otherwise permitted 
>> by
>> 51.30 or 42 CFR Part 2. A general authorization for the release of
>> medical or other information is NOT sufficient for this purpose.
>> Federal rules restrict any use of this information to criminally
>> investigate or prosecute any alcohol or drug abuse client.
>> _____________________________________________________________
>> Manage your list subscriptions at http://lists.omnis-dev.com
>> Start a new message -> mailto:omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com
>
> ARC - your Apple service partner
> _____________________________________________________________
> Manage your list subscriptions at http://lists.omnis-dev.com
> Start a new message -> mailto:omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com
> If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, delete 
> the e-mail, and do not use, disclose or store the information it 
> contains. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential 
> information, including records protected by WI Mental Health 51.30 
> and/or AODA federal confidentiality rules (42 CFR Part 2) - both 
> prohibit you from making any further disclosure of this information 
> unless further disclosure is expressly permitted by the written 
> consent of the person to whom it pertains or as otherwise permitted by 
> 51.30 or 42 CFR Part 2. A general authorization for the release of 
> medical or other information is NOT sufficient for this purpose. 
> Federal rules restrict any use of this information to criminally 
> investigate or prosecute any alcohol or drug abuse client.
> _____________________________________________________________
> Manage your list subscriptions at http://lists.omnis-dev.com
> Start a new message -> mailto:omnisdev-en at lists.omnis-dev.com

ARC - your Apple service partner



More information about the omnisdev-en mailing list