Breaking notarisation :)

Bastiaan Olij bastiaan.olij at jobbag.com
Mon Nov 18 20:59:15 EST 2019

So my problem turned out to have nothing to do with notarisation, that all worked fine including notarising the installer.

The problem turned out to be one with rights. We install JobBag under administration rights so any profile on the machine can use the application (we have clients who share desktops between users, often freelancers or parttimers).
As a result the root/admin user becomes the owner of the application. Some of the files in the app bundle only had rights set for the owner (i.e. 500 or 700) meaning other users couldn't access those files and this broke the app.
Making sure the rights of the app bundle were set correctly (555, 777 etc) so all users can access the application and then building the installer ensured it was deployed correctly.

We ran into this before and had scripted setting the rights of files but it seems that didn't cover some of these, I don't know if this changed in the new Studio deployment or if I had changed the rights of the old 10.0 bundle all that time ago and forgotten to add these files to my script.

So be warned. Even if you don't install under admin you might want to set these rights properly so other users can run the app but you may get into trouble if any of the other users try and update the installation.