O$10: what is the rationale to skip O$9 ?

Bastiaan Olij Bastiaan.Olij at instinctsystems.com.au
Mon Nov 5 17:21:05 EST 2018

Hey Brian,

I'm getting "old" too, though only in my 40ies :P I wasn't having a dig at age  but just commenting there are an awful lot of Omnis developers I know who are indeed retiring and I do think it is a worry Omnis isn't attracting enough new developers. A concern voiced clearly by Omnis Software that it is their top priority to get fresh developers interested in Omnis and one of their main motivations for the choices they have been making.
Though I do have to also counter that with the great news that over 27% of the participants at EurOmnis were first time attendees.

But I fully echo your sentiments here. It is part of why we're looking at augmenting our offering with other tools and we're investing in technology outside of Omnis as well. Now that we are moving from a client-server to a 3-tier solution it is likely that the middle tier will not be Omnis though I still think Omnis remains a strong contender for the front end of our application but instead of talking to a PostgreSQL database directly, it will be talking to our middle tier solution.

There are however two things I want to highlight which really struck me as interesting realisations. Omnis basically stood still for 11 years, that isn't a fully fair statement as things have been added but for all the reasons you highlighted I think it is a statement we can still make and I think Omnis Software has acknowledged this and is addressing this. But you don't catch up on 11 years over night.

In light of that statement the first thing that strikes me is that I still can't think of any better platform to develop a fat client in. Yes it looks clunky, yes it seriously needs to be modernised, but I still have not found any other product that lets me develop a fat client application as easily and quickly as Omnis can and that is saying something as especially Omnis Studio requires you to write far more boilerplate code to get started than its competition. I just can't make something that looks like it belongs in 2018.
I share Dougs remark that all I want is for the Omnis runtime to run on iOS. I don't need a dev version for iOS, I don't care if it is stripped of the UI parts that do not work on that platform (menus, toolbars, single window?), but I would take an Omnis runtime for iOS over both Xcode or any HTML based solution any day and as long as I know I'm on that platform I can have my library make the necessary concessions.

The web is here to stay but as you say, there are far stronger players than Omnis in this market and they are larger, have far more money behind them, and are "free" for developers to use. I just don't see Omnis winning here.

However I believe that the app market is going to be equally as strong and Omnis is incredibly well posed to be a big player in this market space. A native Omnis runtime for both iOS and Android that allows us to easily deploy our applications in the AppStore or Play store together with modernised controls, that is where Omnis imho can take on the competition and grab good market share. Combine that with being able to publish the same app through the existing runtimes for Linux/Windows and Mac OS X desktops and you have something nobody else has. So far all the offerings for native deployment to mobile/tablet devices stay within that eco system with maybe the exception of Xcode though that ties you into the Apple eco system (well, and there is Godot, but that's a game engine).

The other is that Omnis' Achilles heel is also its strongest point.  Omnis is a runtime language which in itself isn't all that special though it could potentially benefit from a build in JIT compiler. But Omnis did something with their runtime I have yet to see anyone else do, and they have done it for far more then 11 years, I've worked with Omnis for over 20 now and it was there when I first picked up Omnis 7, it probably was there long before that but my memory doesn't go back any further.

The Omnis runtime language in combination with its debugger in combination with the runtime and development environment not being separate is a strong point that I have not seen anyone do as effectively as Omnis has done for 20+ years. Yes web development does come closer because you can change server side logic while keeping the browser client alive but it's still a miles away and you still can't debug and change Javascript in any meaningfully comparable way. I was blatantly reminded of how bloody good this part of Omnis was when I had to do some XComp work yesterday. The endless edit, compile, restart, get to the place where the problem is, step through code, quit, make a small change and having to go through all of that again to see if your change worked, I love C++, it is my favourite language by a mile, but this is where I loose hours of time.

The ability to fix problems while you debug and see the effect of your changes right there and then without ever leaving the environment you are in nor having to restart anything, that is what makes it possible to double if not quadruple your productivity compared to other languages.

20 years ago the Omnis debugger was 20 years ahead of its time, and it still is today.

Kindest Regards,

Bastiaan Olij
Head of development - Instinct Systems: The JobBag People
Ground Floor, 48 Chandos Street
St Leonards NSW 2065
Australia

Phone +61 2 8115 8000