O$: v8.15 and connecting to PG

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Wed Jun 13 10:18:02 EDT 2018

hi Mike:

it is is helpful if it were documented, but its not omnis problem to track what microsoft requires, or what PG requires, or what ever additional tool you install requires.

for example — do you connect to the postgres database using TLS ??     if so, you need to make sure that the right openssl libraries are in place (thats easy enough) and so you can install that as well.

We have some externals where we also have to install those various MSCVRxxxx.dll’s    I also get caught on some installs till I get them placed into the installer.

point is .. its better if Omnis does not install the extra stuff for development or runtimes …. since thats bloat — and it makes it hard to determine the exact minimum requirements for your application.

it is better to fail hard on things developers leave out, rather than to coddle because then we are being explicit in what we need.

I could use SQL and various databases as examples.   eg.  mysql truncates text to the length of the field you are putting it into.    Sure mysql helped you, but it is an extremely bad error because you do not know it is doing it and data is being lost.

similar on missing DLL’s …   if an incompatible version of the DLL was put in place for you automatically and it affected your application stability — you’d never know.    its better to know and be explicit.

so.. the general development mantra    EXPLICIT IS BETTER

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978