Issue on JS subforms

Sten-Erik Björling s-e.bjorling at enviro.se
Mon Jul 23 04:24:19 EDT 2018

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the tip - is relevant for versions of Omnis supporting remote objects for JS forms. I will look into it.

Stene

_____

> On 22 Jul 2018, at 22:35, Gavin Foster <omnislist at dataweaver.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’m a bit late coming to this one but I noticed you refer to communication between subforms.
> I use a technique called a ‘data observer object’ which I believe was used by Doug Kuyvenhoven years ago and might be useful for inter-subform messaging in this case.
>
> In short:
> a) You instantiate an object class at the topmost remote form level.
>
> b) All the subforms register an interest with that object class, stating who they are, what message or event they are interested in and what public method within them to execute. These details are stored in a list variable in the object class.
> e.g.
> 	(i) $cinst.$ref of the subform
> 	(ii) 'LoadClient' or 'UpdateClient' or ‘DeleteClient'
> 	(iii) ‘$updateclientmethod’
>
> c) When one of the subforms performs an event, it ‘notifies’ the data observer object of the event, along with a row variable containing the data just affected.
> i.e., it sends 2 parameters to the data observer:
> 	(i) ‘UpdateClient’
> 	(ii) ivClientRow
>
> d) The data observer, goes through the list of subforms that expressed an interest in the ‘UpdateClient’ event and calls the method in each subform, passing ivClientRow to it.
>
> I don’t think I’ll be able follow up on this conversation this week as I’m on holiday now and trying to avoid reading any emails(!). But I hope this helps and if you want to follow up, please email me privately next week.
>
> I can also talk about the technique at Euromnis this year, so feel free to book your place and let’s get together in Germany!!
>
> Best regards,
> Gav

Sten-Erik Björling
Enviro Data
Kyrkogatan 5A 2 tr
SE-972 32  Luleå
Sweden

E-Mail: s-e.bjorling at enviro.se
Mobile: +46-70-655 11 72
Wire: @stenerikbjorling
Skype: stenerikbjorling
iChat: stene at mac.com
FaceTime: stene at mac.com
Hotmail / Messenger: stenerikbjorling at hotmail.com
GMail: stenerikbjorling at gmail.com
LTC: Lc4p9XbeJoYPfj1YJy4DNiGM54zcz38ZWN

______

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any use, distribution, or reproduction of the contents of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message including any attachments thereto. Thank you.

Please note that we take reasonable precautions to prevent the transmission of viruses; however, we cannot guarantee that this email or its attachments are free from viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not be liable for any loss or damage resulting from the opening of this message and/or attachments.