Does $insert() etc not work in Postgres? It's WORKING now.

Das Goravani das at goravani.com
Sun Jan 21 22:30:43 EST 2018

Hi Bastiaan,

Now it works.  I’m now using a different wizard made window with the same design as the first, but this one works, its on a different table.  Dont know why the other one wouldn’t work.  They declare the session variable into the row, and I’m aware of doing that to give it the functions of the hidden table class.  And I used the Define from SQL class command rather than notation because i dont know the right form to use that command, what to put before it, I’ve tried various.

I would like to read the use of that command, $definefromSQLclass… if you can post it for me, just one line of code, i need to see what precedes it, how it’s used, syntax, example basically.  Similarly for the one called $prepareforupdate  as i assume that locks records since it issues a SELECT .. FOR UPDATE command which I was told locks records

and if theres an error message number we can rely on which means record locked so we can respond gracefully… that too i’m curious about, that problem, that reality, of record locking, how it’s reported, and how to handle it, are things I’m not informed about, but thinking about, as it makes you structure the ordering of commands around a data entry moment or session

back in the day i did multi user omnis, so i’m aware of how to code for it in a general way, it’s the SQL way it’s reported, and when, on what commands, and ideas how to handle that, I just realized how to handle many SQL error messages is to be sure to have an interface that could be called "Never unfinished business when calling commands that could have errors", or, ever ready to start over buttons on windows that just had a procedure die on them. I think I’m hearing rollback and transactional as words whisping in the air about the hollow wherein i lurk and work

weird new way, of handling data, weird new mature more sure and stronger realities around database design responsibility and the overall more serious nature of the SQL world as compared to using the Native Datafile (what does DML stand for?) serious, what’s it stand for?

I was happy to find out that the way I’ve always done key ID numbers for parent records that are stored in child records, like customer to invoice to line items there’s a chain of numbers tying them together stored in them, just one number each, the parent, and then it has it’s own unique number except the bottom of stack needs it not

found out, that that’s the way recommended in "Normalization of Database Data" major circles.  Kindof yeah "being on the standard but not knowing it yet".

so I’m off now, connected to a server on my Mac, using the Omnis tools also the server log, SQL, and I’ve fore sure entered data, retrieved it, worked with the server tables programmatically successfully in two ways, feeling secure that I’m on my way now, i’m connected and doing it

thanks for your contribution which is huge to the community of us all,

kindest regards,

das