Running Windows Omnis on Mac?

Alex Clay aclay at mac.com
Tue Jan 9 20:30:38 EST 2018

I'll give a second vote for pre-built images with Packer. We use pre-built images with Vagrant for disposable testing environment and testing automation with SaltStack. Because of Omnis, we use proprietary OSes like macOS and Windows quite heavily. I recommend the boxcutter (https://github.com/boxcutter/ <https://github.com/boxcutter/>) templates for Packer.

On the Windows side, boxcutter has templates for using the evaluation ISOs. These are great because they run more or less fully licensed for 90 days. Windows 10 doesn't care much if you let the license expire. If you re-build the packer images, you get another 90 days.

Even without packer those templates have handy links and checksums to the evaluation ISOs you could use with Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.

WIndows 10 64-bit: https://github.com/boxcutter/windows/blob/master/eval-win10x64-enterprise.json
Windows 10 32-bit: https://github.com/boxcutter/windows/blob/master/eval-win10x86-enterprise.json

See their github page for other OSes.

Alex