Some testing thingies from Stene

Sten-Erik Björling s-e.bjorling at enviro.se
Fri Apr 13 10:24:21 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I have at the moment access to a relatively large app server license for testing and I have installed a number of thingies on the server for you to test if you want to see what can be done with the Omnis App etc.

First some basics:

Server: Mac Pro, 12 core (hardly using the cores), Mac OS X Server (Apache compiled as pre-forked - slow but compatible, basic optimisation), Postgres 10 (not optimised), network connection 500 mbit up / down. Test database is DVD Rental - not very big but offers a good platform for testing system development approaches. This server hardly gets loaded at all… Being in the process of evaluating the bottle necks at this time.

Main principles:

Very ambitious management of database sessions - maximise re-use and aggressive use of SQL workers. Serving about 400-500 db requests per second uses max 15 sessions on the Postgres system - and the individual instances uses only 2-4 % processing power each. Great potential for improvements. Completely modularised approach with as much re-use as possible between desktop and mobile device use. The push mechanisms allows for several workers to be active contributor to a given form or object. Object-centric data handling. Close to all code is common with the fat client version of the remote form - much higher speed for loading new data and redraw of course in the fat client version - no network delays.

Caveat: The first use of tabs in the mobile device setting generates an error that I am trying to find… A bit late in the evening so I give up for today… After accepting the dialog the mobile device will function properly for the different tab items. This might create problems under high load (fingers crossed). I have inactivated the actors film listing since there is a problem with that sub-area - will have to manually re-build that.

For desktop users:

http://envirodata.se/testapp/

This main window collects data from different tables (can also be different systems and services utilising different session pools and / or service providers). The map and the video module are using hard-coded examples. The sales statistics create a multi-join aggregate of sales for the chosen actor - you can also choose to see the aggregation as a pie chart. The film listing sub-form is now being re-constructed. Currently there is an error in the listing of an actors films that I am investigating...

The different forms are the same for both desktop and for mobile clients with some real-time modifications being done depending on the deployment modes.

For mobile users using Omnis App - recommended:

App name: whatever you want… (maybe Stenes test…)
Host server: http://envirodata.se
Online form URL: /testapp?

No offline version yet… :-)

There are some RESTful services also installed on the server to be tested using REST client systems. If you are the first to call the routine be prepared to wait a short while during the first initiation. The URIs are below

Retrieving a single small record for a random number selected actor:
http://www.envirodata.se:5012/api/DVDRental_R2/restservices/ActorDetails/

Retrieving aggregated sales figures for an randomly selected actor:
http://www.envirodata.se:5012/api/DVDRental_R2/restservices/ActorSalesByCategory/

These REST services do not use SQL workers due to the nature of their limitations - hope Omnis can change this in the future.

I will use the Performance Analyser to aggregate performance information during the tests. The up-time for this install might be short… :-)

Sten-Erik Björling

Take care, all the best… Test away…

Stene

_______

Enviro Data
Kyrkogatan 5A 2 tr
SE-972 32  Luleå
Sweden

E-Mail: s-e.bjorling at enviro.se
Mobile: +46-70-655 11 72
Wire: @stenerikbjorling
Skype: stenerikbjorling
iChat: stene at mac.com
FaceTime: stene at mac.com
Hotmail / Messenger: stenerikbjorling at hotmail.com
GMail: stenerikbjorling at gmail.com

______

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any use, distribution, or reproduction of the contents of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message including any attachments thereto. Thank you.

Please note that we take reasonable precautions to prevent the transmission of viruses; however, we cannot guarantee that this email or its attachments are free from viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not be liable for any loss or damage resulting from the opening of this message and/or attachments.