O$8.x: is it worth to upgrade?

Bastiaan Olij bastiaan at basenlily.me
Mon Apr 2 19:25:38 EDT 2018

Hey Clifford,

My experience is, our application is often the only one where there is a
need to upgrade because our application is often the only heavily used
application and clients want to stay on top of the latest developments.
There is no need to update Outlook, yes it may be riddled with security
issues for which you should run the patches, but it doesn't stop anyone
from working.
There is no need to update your OS, yes you run an every increasing risk
of hackers taking out your business as there are more zero day faults
that you're not patching.
There is no need to update Word, heck its better not to update Word
because that program seems to be getting worse with each version.

So they can perfectly get away with not having an automated deployment
process. They hide behind bureaucracy because the right way to upgrade
is to first run a user acceptance test of every single piece of software
before rolling it out in your company and what company has got time for
that? And then they look at us for not solving their issue.

So we pull the short straw and often the resulting opinion is that we
should be web-based because there are no updates on web-based software.
That it circumvents the entire reason for having any form of release
management in place off course is conveniently forgotten. If you're
willing to accept using web-based software that updates purely at the
whim of your supplier, then you have no business implementing release
management rules for software installed locally.
It really feels like these rules were written in another decades and
people have forgotten why these rules are in place and thus have lost
any capability of reasoning when the rules are applicable and when they
aren't. But I guess that is the price we pay for the "next->next->next
wizards" generation Microsoft has created and the plethora of people who
are certified after learning how to press next (yes laying it on a bit
thick here I know)..

That all said, the few large organizations we have as clients that do
understand release management, and do understand the rules, and do apply
them correctly, are wonderful to work with. Release management, once you
have the right tools, really isn't that hard.

Cheers,

Bas