Messaging System in Omnis

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Fri Jan 6 00:09:29 EST 2017

hi Mayada:

personal opinion…..

8.4 was end of life 2.5 yearas ago https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1534/ <https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1534/>
9.5 has upsert
9.6 has parallel queries
all of 9 has streaming replication
there are fixes to query planner and significant performance in 9.x that are not in 8.
version 8 is missing a bunch of CVE fixes (security patches for open ssl and all that stuff)

you know your world better than me ….       but if I had a choice of writing code for an old version of the database and maintaining two code bases, or bringing customers forward to the future using postgres table migration technology and only write one version of a notification model.

I know that I’d bring people forward.

we you consider the security ramifications  alone …  leave clients back in a vulnerable state is not something I’d want to have to stand up and say was done on purpose if they were to get hacked.

just me.     migration can be scripted.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978