O$8 runtime will update an older library?

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Thu Feb 23 23:42:39 EST 2017

it will probably update if (if I recall, there is a flag/preference for the library that indicates if it *should* update a library)

the key issue I see will be that the 4.3.2 will be converted to unicode.

that affects the reading and writing of disk files (if you have export routines).

if you are using a dam to talk to the database, you’ll need to be careful about the encoding of the database..

and you’ll probably run into some issues where there are features in xcomps that differ, both in arguments that can be used and the number of arguments.   the HTTP post and such come to mind as they have flags for SSL and certificates.

xcomps are different too because they are compiled against different teaders.

if the thought is to make a 4.3 library work .. in 4.3, with if/then/else that skirts around version differences — I think there are a bunch of gotcha’s in there.         When we converted from 4.3.2 to studio 5 just for unicode .. there was a good couple of months of work just to make sure that all our binary conversion and unicode functions did the right thing.

hope that helps.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978

National User Conference, May 8-11, 2017
https://tickets.proctors.org/TheatreManager/95/online&perf=27956