Opening a document from Studio 8 in Windows

Kelly Burgess kellyb at montana.com
Sun Jun 19 08:00:48 EDT 2016

Hi Scotte,

>Where do I find documentation on what all the parameters like the ‘JJCCCCJ’ come from
> . . am using ShellExecuteW instead of ShellExecuteA

In either case, remove the W or A and google the base function name.  One of the first matches should be an MSDN entry for that function, e.g.

  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx

You'll find the C or C++ declaration, e.g.

HINSTANCE ShellExecute(
  _In_opt_ HWND    hwnd,
  _In_opt_ LPCTSTR lpOperation,
  _In_     LPCTSTR lpFile,
  _In_opt_ LPCTSTR lpParameters,
  _In_opt_ LPCTSTR lpDirectory,
  _In_     INT     nShowCmd
);

and then you translate the result type and each parameter type into a letter per the RegisterDLL command documentation.  JJCCCCJ correctly represents the data types of the ShellExecute function result followed by its parameters.

Kelly