Omnis as a Mac OSX daemon

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Thu Jun 2 10:03:56 EDT 2016

hi Bruno.

We haven’t done it  with Launchd.    but we did create a python process that runs under launchd and starts omnis under OSX.

that way we can stop and start omnis under program control.

Omnis can take parameters on the terminal command line and so we make a plist file and then pass in the path name to it on the command line when invoked — so that we can have as many config parameters as we need.  example:
omnis is configured to have no listener port, so we pass that in
the database url and port
login info and such.

we have python to create  a process that launches multiple copies of omnis on a single machine and manage interaction.   Its how we get omnis to use the multiple CPU’s available on a single machine (why?  each omnis will only use one CPU —   so you need multiple omnis instances to use all the CPU’s).

we talked about it at the last euromnis and will do so at the next one so people can see it in action.    Its a great way to scale the user of studio.

we are currently using it for web services, but we plan on using this background copy of omnis to run reports as a report server in the future.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 536-1205