javascript cleint /web server & Nginx

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Dec 14 15:56:38 EST 2016

On 14/12/16 01:22 PM, Andrew Stolarz wrote:
> Has anyone had any success integrating the omnis JS server with nginx?
> (rather then IIS or apache as stated on the omnis site).

I presume the Omnis App Server is still dependent on an Apache module,
mod_omnis.so, or on a CGI, nph-omniscgi. You can't use the Apache module
with nginx so you have two options.

First, you can use nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Apache such that
any requests for dynamic pages are passed through to Apache but any
requests for static assets are served by nginx directly. In this
configuration, Apache will only listen to requests on localhost. I've
used this method of deployment for non-Omnis sites and it works well. I
don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for Omnis, too.

The other option is to wrap the CGI and serve via nginx fastcgi
<https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/examples/fastcgiexample/>.
I've used this method for PHP applications but not for Omnis. It would
require some R&D to accomplish this in Omnis and it would be a
worthwhile venture.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay