Locking -- and how to share update code as open source

Doug Easterbrook doug at artsman.com
Tue Dec 13 18:51:14 EST 2016

hi all:

ok, so this is being sidetracked a little by the notion that its pretty easy to add code to an omnis program that will update a SQL database with schema changes on the fly — much like the check data file concept.

for what its worth, we do the same thing to our databases — for a long time all the code was in one method that added fields and backfilled data as required — with the nice benefit of consistency though a data dictionary that we put in our application.

I’m sure that the three of us are not the only ones who have a mechanism in place to accomplish this…. and I’m sure that any solution we’ve done is probably bested by others out there in the community.

It seems to me that this concept is a worthwhile bit of code that could be contributed to the open source world for the over all benefit of omnis ….

So, I’m making a point here to the broader world about the notion of open source to solve problems.  It is something that was talked about at euromnis fairly extensively — but the mechanism to share code easily is currently a little lacking.

if you read the proposed release notes for Studio 8.1 presented in Boston, one of the features on the slide was ‘ability to export/import libraries as json’.      Most of you know that we are a big proponent of open source and sharing — and so this upcoming feature has tremendous and fantastic implications …

The goal is to be able to use git repositories for the libraries and let all of us share some core features ….     there are a few of us hoping to play with this as soon as it is available……

just wanted to say that an easy-update of a sql database could be a really good sample project for open source.

mailto:doug at artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 650-1978